Tuesday 9 May 2017

Final Major Project Week Five

I have previously received criticism that I do not always best show my final stages of design development. I agreed that often, after extensive research and development, I feel full of ideas and conclude on a final look without documenting that key, final process. For that reason I am conscious to devote lots of time to the design development phase in its entirety.

Through planning and production analysis I can conclude I am well on track/ ahead of schedule and this means I can confidently maintain a steady approach to the project, without rushing.

At the start of this week I explored latex textiles. Using trays, I solidified liquid latex to create sticky, skin like samples perfect for referencing my 'peeling' leather research. During the process I exploring adding in knit-de-knit yarn from deconstructed knitwear given to me on work experience at John Smedley. The end result reminded me of some research imagery of the detailed stomach linings of cows. Other samples included regular wool (acrylic) yarn shaped to mirror internal carcass structures. I spent a whole day exploring these samples on the stand, combining them with a large piece of coated scuba material left over from a previous project. I felt the results were very beautiful and elegant but by no means exceptional in terms of silhouette of general uniqueness of aesthetic.

Sketchbook page- Author's own

I am aware that my focus on colour and texture is strong and because of this I am deliberately avoiding both for the meantime. By eliminating the two, there is no distraction from silhouette and potential cut, resulting in all my efforts and attention being on shape and form. Using regular calico or tubular knit I have experimented and further developed shapes. I feel I am capable of a more intricate and detailed approach in terms of silhouette. The process of draping on the stand is interesting and prolific in presenting numerous ideas for final silhouette. I have pinched and tucked to mimic artist research images by Lovis Corinth and Chaim Soutine, stuffed and quilted to reference internal carcass structures and machine embroidered abstract cow prints, then padded them with foam and cotton wool to add 3D appeal/ translate docu-film research.

Design development page- Author's own

I am enjoying exploring different processes and feel I am constantly pushing myself forward and outside of my normal methods of practice. I feel some stand work has been more succesful than others; many pieces can appear deeply un flattering and too 'conceptual' resulting in a breach of my desire to flatter and emphasise the female silhouette.

Planning ahead I shall commence sketching ideas in black fine-liner and begin to draw the project to a conclusion. I will be certain to refer back to my sketchbook when doing this so that interesting and informative research/ development is not lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment