Sunday 21 May 2017

Final Major Project Week Eight

In this final week of my Final Major Project I have been certain to reflect and evaluate in full measure. I have browsed through my sketchbook and blog on multiple occasions to explore my project as a continuous thread of ideas from start to finish. I happily conclude the project to have a distinct narrative and believe it transitions well from page to page with each idea complimenting, a reaction to, or moving forward from, the previous one.

Final Design Board- Author's own

Construction of my final looks was interesting and I have experienced feeling more indecisive than ever before.  Having made both my pleated red gown with exaggerated sleeves and latex gown with surface decoration I couldn't decide how best to shoot the garments.

Sewing the latex proved extremely difficult, namely because of using a domestic sewing machine not designed for construction in latex. To solve this problem I used red, grosgrain ribboning to bind the seams, however this meant a red stripe on either side of the dress not intended in the initial design. I felt the stripes gave an unwanted sportswear aesthetic to the dress and an overall look verging on bad fancy dress shop meets 80's air hostess. Even when paired with one of the sleeves of the red gown, which granted was a large improvement and close to my desired look, I still wasn't happy. I discussed and evaluated with peers and my tutor and concluded to set aside the blue look in favour of giving all focus to my well-executed red gown; after all a second look was not even a requirement anyway.

When styling the final look on a mannequin I was further disappointed- the red gown, with great hanger appeal and craftsmanship seemed as though it wouldn't work on the body (the proportions of the look when on the stand were off). I asked a friend to try the piece on and once again added to my disappointment. The look lacked the sex appeal I aim for in my outcomes. With shoot day in 12 hours I consulted peers and was convinced to be content with the outcome and to 'sleep on it'.

For the studio shoot I cast professional model Jade Sorely, with help from sessional Carol Wisemen. As soon as the dress was put on the model my feelings of disappointment disappeared. Via my own instinctive styling and artistic direction I chose to leave off the second, lighter sleeve to show more flesh, balance the proportions and reveal the feminine form. I used a luxurious velvet waist band, that I had brought to the shoot on the chance I would need it, and cinched the waistline of the look. The exaggerated hourglass silhouette created was sexy, feminine and powerful. With myself directing the shoot and Emily Anna photographing I was greatly pleased with the final shots. I concluded the final outcome to be succesful and reflected upon quite how important the ultimate promotion stage of a project is, in properly showing off the hard work to its full potential.
Final Major Project- Final Outcome
Feeling inspired by my styling/ creative direction of the gown shoot, I sought to play around with the lighter sleeve left off and the latex dress, condemned as tacky airline steward wear. On impulse, using a male model, I wanted to explore a paradoxical style to the overt glamour and femininity of my initial gown shoot. Leaving on my model's own casual jeans and white trainers, I styled a sexual, yet poetic shot on red, studio backdrop. I used the latex dress as a loose, draped sleeve, attached to the dark red, scuba sleeve removed from the gown-outfit. The look was masculine and relaxed, unlike the haute-glamour of the gown shoot, yet equally as empowered and sexualised. I photographed in natural light, encouraging a softer final result and upon reflection felt the two final outcomes worked well as demonstrations of my potential versatility as a designer.

Final Major Project- Additional Outcome

When selecting final concept and development boards for submission, I felt confident in choosing simple snapshots of my project, from certain stages in the project, instead of trying to cram all ideas explored onto one single, ultimate collage.

Tutor and peer reaction to my project throughout has been encouraging and if but one person has felt compelled to reconsider some of their consumer decisions because of it, the project is, for me, a success; whether greatly or marginally influenced by me, two friends have gone vegan in the time since discussing my project with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment