Sunday 21 May 2017

Final Major Project Week Seven

In this penultimate week of my project I had aimed, in my proposed plan of action table, to already have had my final line ups complete, so as to be ready to begin construction in week seven. However, having discussed how quickly I am able to construct with a tutor, we resolved to hold back from the final line up/ construction process for as long as possible, so as to maximise as much as possible on my design potential. Upon reflection I feel this was a sensible decision as further ideas, that have become fundamental to my final design, emerged in these last days of design; to have stopped before this would have meant a less refined final look.

Aforementioned fundamental designs include a latex sampling process previously unexplored. This was the hand application of liquid latex directly to final material, leaving finger imprints to set in textured surface decoration. I had loved my earlier latex samples, done in transparent putty flesh tones with knit-de-knit yarns and abstract cow print details, however I could not see their marriage with where my silhouette development had taken me and needed an alternate latex application that would not jar with the voluminous shapes I was working with. I evaluated that this finger imprint surface texture was said process and that the outcome, albeit literal (bloody looking gore for a vegan project) was succesful enough to incorporate into my final line up.

Design Board- Author's own

Another idea that arose only in the final days of design was to use paper in the final garment(s). Having used paper throughout to explore silhouette/ add volume/ visualise print, it had never occurred to me to use the prosaic material in a refined final piece. Yet the sensory appeal of paper, as well as its ability to give bulk and volume, led me to desire it in my final look(s). The crackling, rustling sound it makes was to me like the crackle of bones, whilst the pointed, non-smooth finish it gives when stuffed into fabric felt more suitable than toy stuffing or wadding, which would give a smooth, cushioned effect.

When finalising my line up I chose the four techniques/ research results I felt were the strongest of my project in its entirety. These were (1) the colour combination of abattoir uniform referenced turquoise with bloody red (2) the voluminous puffed sleeve silhouette developed from my own primary 'meat in a plastic bag' photography research (3) heavy vertical pleating derived from extensive stand-work/ calico draping and (4) the liquid latex, textural surface decoration.

Off the five looks I concluded upon (as shown here in my final line up) I selected the one I felt was the most 'grand' as my submission look. This was a floor length, vertically pleated gown with giant, stuffed sleeve, off shoulder lighter sleeve and latex decorated neckline. I felt this look would have the most impact in an editorial scenario or studio shoot.

Final Line Up- Author's own

I began construction of the look in Week Seven but this carried through to the start of my final week.

Having evaluated how on track I was I chose to make a second look from my line-up as I felt I had the time and that it would not interfere with or hinder my ability to complete the project as planned. I chose a blue latex dress with liquid latex surface decoration as this second look. This was because when reflecting on the project I realised my final chosen look didn't actually include my so-loved colour combination of blue and red.

No comments:

Post a Comment