Thursday 2 March 2017

Illustration

This week we have undergone an illustration workshop. I was inspired by visiting the Show Studio exhibition of Fashion Illustration in Victoria. I felt that techniques such as 3D fabric collage on a piece by Charles Jeffrey and detailed watercolours on multiple works by Paola Travers could inform my own illustration styles.

I was very pleased with my initial exploration of 3D collage illustration using denim and linen with thick oil paint and pro markers. The explorations were succesful because the mix mediums were tactile and visually textural.

I highly enjoyed the workshops we conducted in the studio because the processes we underwent were not those I would have thought to choose myself. One in particular, a 'draw your reaction to this word' exercise, was interesting. Without any proper thought process I channelled my reactions and emotions to such words as 'opulent', 'gravity' and 'flying and falling'. I aimed to abstract my feelings and portray them in less obvious ways. For gravity for example I used black charcoal alone and  pressed it against the paper with tangible force- this force for me reflected my reaction to the word.

Upon beginning to become figurative with my illustrations I aimed to distort and extend the human silhouette. I felt this succesfully portrayed a mood and elegance whereby some of my elongated figures looked swan-like, gliding or well-poised. I continued to explore mixed mediums and felt the marriage of white chalk and black ink was effective because the two felt antithetical (the chalk's crumbling, pale softness well-contrasted the dark and aqueous ink).

I will take the skills I have learnt through workshop forward for further projects as a promotion device, alternative to a fashion shoot or simply as extra artistic exploration of any given theme.

Author's own
Author's own

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete