Monday 27 March 2017

Final Major Project Week Two

Through self-evaluation I identified the need to explore textile more extensively through my work. With this is mind I have explored the process of knitting as part of my initial design research. By weaving various materials into the needles of my machine I can create interesting, textural samples. I have chosen red and pink yarns to evoke flesh-like imagery, whilst an introduction of turquoise references my research into abattoir-wear. During this process I found that thicker woven strips could hinder the overall knitted sample, and that 5cm was approximately the maximum width for external yarn additions when knitting.

Knitting process- Image Author's own
 As part of my constant self-evaluation process (which I believe will help me procure a better outcome in the long run) I have discussed my work with peers, asking their advice. Many have declared how shocking some of my research and sketchbook page work is to them so far, and because of this I feel I am on track. Many encouraged me to explore larger sampling... I heeded this advice when melting plastic around synthetic felts and painted card to form sticky, conceptual samples, larger than previous knitted ones.
Research page including knit sample- Author's own

I am consciously remaining highly conceptual at this stage, even grotesque, as I believe this keeps my research and concept in its rawest form. I will later refine my research and discover how it may filter into desirable and fundamentally sellable clothing. 

Peers have identified my lack, at this stage, of primary research imagery, many of my pictures coming from film research screen grabs and related articles. I will therefore ensure to take my own photographs going forward to widen and personalise my referencing material.  

No comments:

Post a Comment