Friday 17 March 2017

Final Major Project Week One

My initial approach to this project has been heavily image-research based. I have used screen grabs from films such as 'Cowspiracy' (one of my major references for this project) and 'Food Choices' as well as anonymous, undercover exposé videos.

I choose to layer these images in collages in my sketchbook whereby the composition of the page highlights the research material. I find that making images translucent and superimposing them upon each other makes for succesful distortions and interesting interpretations of initial imagery.

The process of extracting silhouettes from imagery with the use of tracing paper or black marker pens helps me to build the foundations for the silhouette development I will do later in the project. Using clean, black lines helps to abstract and simplify forms into workable shapes.

Sketchbook page Author's own-
demonstrating transparency, layering technique and black line silhouette extraction.

I have been sketching my personal interpretation of some of my imagery and the scenarios I am learning about. I find this a helpful method of primary research, whereby my use of the pen can reflect my emotions- aqueous red ink for bloody anger, hard, black charcoal lines for pressure/imprisonment or light chalk for the souls of animals, are some example of this.

I anticipate that the process of peeling will form a key part of my project. I have conducted upsetting yet informative research into the skinning processes of the livestock industry, be it for meat or leather businesses. Using layers of painted glue, which I let solidify, then forcibly peel back, I am already creating my own substrates (which upon development could turn into leather alternatives) and translated theoretical/ image based research into inceptive physical samples.

Inspired by the 'hot branding' of livestock with fired metal irons, I have began the exploring the process of scorching, branding materials. I am experimenting using a domestic iron, cigarette lighter and other miscellaneous metal utensils, to create heat damaged, melted or 'branded' samples.

Upon evaluating my progress so far I believe I am well on track and that my sketchbook so far is provocative. This is supported by several 'peer-crits' where the reactions to the work have been emotional and often disgusted but also supportive. I am already falling into my habit of remaining very image based. I will make sure in the coming days to jump further into textile development and physical research interpretation.

Concept Board- Author's own

No comments:

Post a Comment